Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ex Marks the Spot

It deserves to be said, that I pretty much have the best ex-husband ever. I mean this in all sincerity. Ex-spouse is a term we tend to avoid; as it carries such negativity in its perception. We are co-parenting partners, and better yet, friends.

While the details of our situation remain private, it can be said that I find tremendous comfort in knowing that our children are in loving and capable hands, in either home. For this, I am entirely grateful. The friendship that has developed from living separately is intense, honest, uplifting, and just down-right cool.

It is our hope, that when we marry, it is forever. And while our forever comes wrapped in a very unique package, I do truly know that it is a forever built on love and mutual respect. {This can be said with a smile in my heart, maybe because we can send each other's ass a mile down the road when we disagree. Heh} As we redefine our forever, I am filled with a gratitude that our children will always be our greatest privilege and priority.

So today, Patrick... it should be said... thank you for being my forever.
{And yes, I'll take the dog again so you can go on a date, but can you trade days while I go to Vegas for a night, and sure let's go to the so-and-so's party together, and make sure you make her your delicious salmon, and yes I went out with that guy, and can you remember to get Chase a haircut, and sure I'll cut their toenails because I know that's hard for you, and thank you for getting the teachers' a gift and...}

10 comments:

Chris said...

Wow! That is absolutely awesome. Your kids are blessed to have terrific parents!

Miss M said...

What Cheri said.

All his wonderfulness as a father/friend would be lost on less of a woman.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This is so lovely--and how wonderful it is her for posterity for your children to see some day.

Kat said...

Wow. Amazing. Seriously. Wow.

Unknown said...

That was beautiful.

I'm nothing short of thrilled for you and your entire family.

<3

Marlys said...

You are leaving a mark that will follow those kiddos the rest of their life. I am so proud of you -- guess that's why I love you!

dkuroiwa said...

beautiful.
and the comment i left on the post before this? it could be cut and pasted and put here for this one,too.

katydidnot said...

i don't understand what jenn said.

i do, though, understand what you said.

you are totally effing awesome.

i'm a little disappointed that i'm not the only one you send little lovey notes to, because this? is a little lovey note to patrick. and your children.

lucky them.

The Girl Next Door said...

I am just a little bit jealous. We started off that road of friends - seems when the stress of pretending was gone we could be friends. But he woke up one morning hating. And it hasn't stopped. I am so glad for you AND mostly for your kids that you two are such friends. Awesome.

Wendi said...

Sounds like the road ahead will be paved and easy to travel.
I am so happy for you!